Love is a choice as much as it is a feeling or a decision. Those who give love receive love. Recently we have seen research talking about conflict resolution and conflict recovery in terms of lasting romantic relationships.
Ten Ways to Express Love
Here are 10 ways to express love to your special someone, your friends, family, children. By expressing love we bring ourselves joy knowing that love is not just a Valentine moment, but an ongoing, free flowing experience that enriches our lives.
- Express gratitude. Tell someone how much you appreciate their presence in your life.
- Send flowers for no reason other than to say “Thank you for being you.”
- Set aside time to give the gift of listening. Make a date if you must, in your own home or at a quiet little neighborhood place, for coffee or a drink and just listen to each other’s thoughts.
- Keep anger at bay. During stressful times think of this image. If an ember flies from a fireplace onto your rug, it will burn a hole. Flick it off immediately and the rug is safe.
- Be thoughtfully generous with gifts. Remember what is special about a person in your life and buy gifts that are unique to them.
- Order fortune cookies with love sayings or with love notes and keep a glass jar in your home filled with them. You might also intersperse with gratitude sayings.
- Offer an act of kindness. Say to your love or someone you care about, “What can I do for you today that will make your life easier and less stressful?” Then do it.
- Write a note and send it . Here’s a simple start: “I am so grateful that you are in my life. I love you for a million reasons. Here are the top three.”
- Make time to be together for events that bring you both pleasure.
- Be forgiving. We all have quirks. When one surfaces that makes you want to scream, either gently say something or switch to the positive-quality channel.